Wednesday 15 October 2014

Something Different

With something different in mind again, I thought I'd post a recent 10 x 12 inch oil painting titled 'The Guardsman', a member of the Queen's Horse Guard on duty. Based on a photo I took when visiting London with the family quite a few years ago, I was attracted by the strong design featuring large simple shapes and blocks of colour, especially the central very prominent red cloak of the guardsman.

Horse Guards painting
'The Guardsman'.   10 x 12 inches, oil on board.


Below is a small 8 x 10 inch painting titled 'Morning Glow'. This is a study for a future larger painting featuring the gable of a shop on the end of a row of terraced buildings. This side of the shop, though white painted in reality, often takes on a bright yellow glow when struck by a rising early morning sun.

painting of a building
'Morning Glow'  (Study)   8 x 10 inches, oil on board.

I have seen this effect on the end of the shop many times and always wanted to paint it. This first simple study serves as a starting point for the future painting, which I shall post and describe when completed.


No comments:

Post a Comment