Monday 30 July 2012

Hedging Work, Late Winter

A painting done purely from memory sometime late last winter. The farm workers were burning the the scrub after hedge cutting close to where I go for a walk most mornings. If I were to go home to get my paints the scene would no doubt have changed, so I stood and watched for just a few minutes. Back at home about an hour later, I did this small oil painting very quickly, no reference material needed except my own memory.

I wasn't interested in the details, just in capturing the colours and feel of what I had seen earlier. The background is very simplified, with the large dark old tree, the drifting smoke and crackling flames the heart of the painting. Details were not needed I felt, it was quickly painted, but I had thought of the painting for an hour already during my walk back home. I really enjoyed the feeling of  recreating what I had seen earlier, in the simplest way I could. I would like to use this method more often, but probably only on this 6 x 8 inch scale, and only on simple subjects. So often I think I see something, that would make a great painting, but with no camera or any art materials to hand the subject is lost. But not this time.

Painting of bonfire in field
'Hedging Work, Late Winter' - oil on board 6 x 8 inches














                                                                   
                                                                   



                                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment