Friday 27 July 2012

The White Cottage

'The White Cottage' was a practice plein air painting I did one day last Autumn. My first for quite a while, at the time I thought it was too rough, too quickly painted. The painting has laid since then on a shelf back in my studio (more about that later), but I took another look this week and thought instead that it had the freshness, a spontaneity that I like in plein air work.

I suppose that like many other painters, when using photos as the main or only reference source, I tend to do a painting that recreates the photo, not the 'roughness' of the landscape as it was. The resulting painting is perhaps a little too tight, too neat, the 'rough' bits finished off too much. I used to paint a lot of commission work for publishers, and using photos was ok then, as they usually wanted more 'finish' to the artwork.

So, here it is, good or bad, my first plein air work for this blog.

Painting of an Autumn Lane with white cottage
'The White Cottage' - oil on board 6 x 8 inches.

Contact - lesliestonesart@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment